For the last week I will most likely be doing reading in this class I chose to do my first bit of reading over Celtic tales. I knew a little about them from reading short stories by myself in the past and enjoyed many aspects of them. I am going to do my part A reading post over one of my favorite stories I read from the section, "The Field of Boliauns". In this story there is a man that happens upon a Leprechaun. Now Leprechaun's are very shifty and resilient creatures so the man knew that he could not take his eyes off of him or else he would be gone, never to see the little man again. The Leprechaun tried to trick the man to making him turn around and lose sight of him so he could get away, out of his sight. These efforts surprisingly didn't work. The man then finally in a rage picked the little man up and made him tell him where his gold was stashed. Upon arriving to the place where it was hid, the man noticed that he had forgot his spade to dig with. So he tied a handkerchief around the tree of where the gold was placed and told the Leprechaun to swear he wouldn't untie. The Leprechaun did not undo it, instead he used his magical powers to make every tree in the whole acreage have an exact replica of the handkerchief the man had used.
I really enjoyed this story because it shows just how cunning and creative Leprechaun's can be. I am sure the one in this story knew that he was never going to part with his gold, instead he wanted to have a little fun with the man and trick him good. I think the story also shows the extent to how powerful Leprechauns can be as well. The man was not gone from the acreage long and yet he was able to put a red handkerchief on every tree present. I would have to change up the linguistics of the story. Not because it is difficult to read, in fact it makes the reading quite fun I think. I just would not be able to talk in the Celtic fashion without the story not making sense. I think it would be fun to give the Leprechaun more riddles in his dialogue. Lastly, I would most likely change the story to make the Leprechaun beg the man to let him go by giving him three wishes. These wishes of course would not go in the mans favor unfortunately.
Bibliography
Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1892).
Comments
Post a Comment